deutsch   |   english

EU-Citizens/Freedom of Movement

As a citizen of a member state of the European Union (EU), Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway, or Switzerland, you are allowed to stay in Germany because of your right to free movement. You do not need a residence or work permit.

If you have family members who do not hold European citizenship, family reunification under EU legislation is more favourable than under German national law. For instance, according to EU law, family reunification is not strictly limited to the nuclear family (spouses and minor children) but may also apply to family members such as siblings, aunt or uncles etc. or even unmarried life partners.

In general, you are also entitled to social benefits. We gladly support you to enforce your claims.

If you have lived in Germany for a longer period, we can consult you on how to receive a permanent residence permit. In many cases, it is useful to acquire German citizenship. This is possible without renouncing your current citizenship if you are a citizen of another EU member state. In case you are affected by BREXIT, we gladly consult you on your options.